If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (301) 753-8313

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Stopping a Kitchen Fire in Its Tracks | SERVPRO® of Charles County and Oxon Hill

5/19/2023 (Permalink)

 img src =”fire” alt = " stainless steel pot billowing with flames on an electric stove top ” > Have you experienced a fire in your home recently? Call SERVPRO of Charles County/Oxon Hill to get your home back in order.

Cooking mishaps are one of the leading causes of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States. Since we often use heat and flame to cook and warm the food we eat, it’s no surprise that accidents happen more often in our kitchens than anywhere else in our homes.

Thankfully, the vast majority of kitchen fires are preventable by staying vigilant and by being responsible while you are cooking.

Responsible Kitchen Practices

One of the smartest things you can do to reduce your risk of a kitchen fire is to stay near your heat source while you are cooking. Even just stepping away for a minute to tend to something is enough time for a spark to catch and spread.

You should also make sure to keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a flame starts in a pan, you can quickly smother it with the nearby lid.

In addition, you should try to minimize the amount of flammable materials in your kitchen. Wooden utensils, oven mitts, towels and even the packaging that your food comes in can all catch fire. Keep them far away from your oven or stove top or consider replacing them with fire-resistant alternatives.

When the Flames Spread

If a fire does start in your kitchen, stay calm and call 911 immediately. Even if the fire is relatively small, it can quickly get out of hand.

If it is safe to do so, you can fight the fire by smothering a grease fire or using a fire extinguisher. If you are not comfortable staying to fight the fire, get out! Your safety is the most important thing.

For fires that start in your oven, do not open the door. Shut off the heat and keep the door closed. Just remember, do not throw water on a grease fire. Water and oil don’t mix, and when you introduce water onto burning oil, it can make a bad situation even worse.

Cleaning Up From Fire Damage

OK, so you have either extinguished the fire yourself or the Charles County Fire Department has done it for you. Now what? It’s time to call SERVPRO of Charles County and Oxon Hill! Our fire damage restoration team is ready to help you recover.

We will be with you every step of the way, from removing damaged debris to tackling any lingering smoke odors. Our team can also address repairs that you need and ensure that every inch of your home has been cleaned of residual soot.

Experiencing a house fire can be overwhelming. Let our SERVPRO of Charles County and Oxon Hill team handle your restoration for you.

Other News

View Recent Posts